Pet Insurance Claim of the Week: Cat ate Lily flower - The Trupanion Blog
Underwritten by American Pet Insurance Company
<
Sign Up for Our NewsletterGet the scoop on pet health right in your inbox.

Pet Insurance Claim of the Week: Cat ate Lily flower

This week’s pet insurance claim features Wyatt the 4-year-old American Shorthair cat who recently ingested a bit of lily plant. All types of lily flowers and plants are toxic to cats and can cause kidney failure or worse if left untreated.

Symptoms of lily ingestion include drooling, vomiting, loss of appetite, and increased urination. When a cat has ingested parts of a lily plant, they should receive immediate veterinary care. Treatment includes inducing vomiting and activated charcoal to absorb any toxins. It is important that the cat receive fluid therapy to prevent dehydration.

Wyatt received fluid therapy and was kept at the vet hospital for three days. He is now recovering at home and we hope he will be back to 100% in no time.

The best thing to do is keep lilies out of your home if you have cats. Be sure to remind your cat-loving friends to choose other flowers to decorate!

Total claim amount: $2,363.90
Deductible applied: -$250.00
Ineligible costs (exam fee, bath): -$191.75
10% co-insurance: -$192.21
Eligible for coverage: $1,728.94


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Prove you're a human: *