“I noticed my 9-month-old, 4 lb, black-and-white Chihuahua puppy, Mojo, was not eating his normal portions and seemed depressed. I took him to my local veterinarian, Dr. Clark of Bay Hills Animal Hospital on February 28. She examined Mojo and took x-rays. He was dehydrated and sensitive to any pressure on his stomach. The x-ray revealed an obstruction and gases in his stomach. Dr. Clark sent me to the Anne Arundel Veterinary Emergency Clinic so he could be further tested.
At the clinic, they immediately put him on fluids to ensure that he didn’t develop sugar shock, which is common in Chihuahuas. They were hoping that the fluids would allow the blockage to release. However, this did not happen. So surgery was the only alternative for Mojo.
Mojo’s surgery was very extensive due to the severity of the blockage. He had 6 inches of intestine removed because the blockage could not be cleared. After surgery, he looked as though he was improving, but then made a turn for the worse. Again, my husband and I had to agree to a second surgery for Mojo. This time they discovered that a portion of the intestine that had been cut and sewn together had died. The surgeon removed the dead tissue and sewed up the intestine again. Mojo received a couple of staples and stitches. Now the healing needed to begin. He had to stay in the hospital for a week and the dollar signs were adding up. But we knew Trupanion would assist us with the costs.
Today, Mojo is eating on his own and is starting to gain weight, and is anxiously waiting to play with his siblings. Thank you, Trupanion, for your help and kind words during our puppy’s recovery.”
Carrie & Michael C.
Enrolled: July 2014
Condition: Foreign Body Ingestion
Trupanion Paid: $6,136.70