Our pet’s dental health is just as important as our own and although it may not seem like it now, teaching your pet to brush their teeth is a lot easier than you think! With just a few simple steps you can help keep your pet’s breath fresh, teeth clean, and body healthy.
Tips to brush your pet’s teeth
- Get a soft bristled toothbrush or finger brush and some pet-safe toothpaste. Not sure which brush or toothpaste is best for your pet? Ask your veterinarian for some suggestions at your next visit!
- Slowly introduce your pet to the toothbrush. Allow them to lick some soft food or pet toothpaste off the brush and give them plenty of praise.
- Brush just a few teeth to start. Once they become comfortable with the brush, gently lift their lip and brush some of the toothpaste on their front teeth and give them plenty of praise.
- Slowly move further back in their mouth with each daily brush until you are able to get to all of their teeth. Continue to offer plenty of praise each time! If you have trouble getting to their back teeth, as your veterinarian for tips on how to position yourself and angle the brush.
- Keep up the routine! A daily routine will help the toothbrush become a regular part of your pet’s life and will help their health in the long run!
With just a few minutes every day, your pet may even enjoy the toothbrush! For additional tips on brushing your pets teeth, visit our Pet Dental Care page.