Over the past 3 years, we’ve paid over $2.9 million in claims for toxicity and poisoning in dogs and cats, and surprisingly, many of the substances most toxic to pets can be found in the purse hanging on your arm. We looked into our database of toxicity and poison claims finding the 5 most common poisons found in your purse.
- Xylitol, found in chewing gum and other artificially-sweetened products, can lead to a drop in blood sugar and eventually affects the liver and kidneys.
- Raisins might be the perfect compact snack, but they can be very toxic to pets and ingestion leads to kidney failure.
- Inhalers contain albuterol, and when a pet gets a hold of the inhaler, they can accidently be exposed to massive amount of the drug, which can lead to death.
- Human medications like NSAIDs including Advil, Aleve, and Motrin, Acetaminophen including Tylenol, and Antidepressants can cause a number of symptoms at varying degrees of severity.
- Hand sanitizer contains a large amount of alcohol, which can cause a severe drop in blood sugar, neurological depression, coma, and even death.
“The best option is to keep these toxins out of your pet’s reach. Keep your purse away from your pet or try to avoid keeping these items in it if you have an especially nosy pet. Determined pets can chew through plastic containers,” says Denise Petryk, DVM. “If your pet ingests a toxin, stay calm and act quickly. Keep your veterinarian’s contact information and a pet first aid kit at the ready.”
For more tips and information on pet poison prevention, visit Trupanion’s Guide to Poison Prevention.