What to do if your dog ate cleaner | The Trupanion Blog
Underwritten by American Pet Insurance Company
<
Sign Up for Our NewsletterGet the scoop on pet health right in your inbox.

What to do if your dog ate household cleaner

shih tzu in kitchen

Some dogs are willing to put anything in their mouth, just like toddlers trying to explore the world by taste. It could be something harmless like your socks or a rubber toy or something toxic like antifreeze or household cleaners. Cleaners are common in any household, so the chance of your dog eating some is pretty high. What should you do if your dog ate cleaner?

Symptoms of toxin ingestion

The symptoms of cleaner ingestion can vary, and often look like other illnesses or toxin ingestion. These can include:

  • Vomiting with diarrhea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Swollen belly
  • Burns or lesions in the mouth
  • Drooling
  • Hair loss
  • Eye and skin irritation
  • Muscle weakness
  • Seizures

If your dog shows signs of these symptoms, stay calm and get help from a veterinarian right away.

What do I do if my dog gets into household cleaner?

The first thing to do is to move your dog away from the toxin. You can call your veterinarian or emergency veterinary hospital to let them know you are coming.

While you prepare to go to the veterinarian, you can rinse your dog’s mouth, skin, or eyes under running water if needed. You should also gather or take photos of your detergent bottles to help your veterinarian with treatment. If the chemical got in your little friend’s skin, loosely cover the skin wounds with a bandage to avoid infection before rushing him to the vet.

Do not use any neutralizing agents. They can cause chemical reactions inside the dog’s body, which could result in further damage. Ask your veterinarian before you try to induce vomiting. It can over-complicate the treatment. If your vet suggests you induce vomiting, use fresh, non-expired, bubbly hydrogen peroxide. Other methods are not recommended.

How to prepare ahead of time

To avoid a hole in your heart and your wallet, please pet proof your house and make sure all detergents are out of reach from any curious paws. The best thing to do is keep your pets away in the first place. Keep in mind, plastic bags usually aren’t safe either since they can be chewed through.

Keep your floor clean and detergent-free. A dog might lick up cleaner off the floor. Look for pet-safe cleaning options.

Finally, prepare a pet first aid kit, complete with contact information for your veterinarian and an emergency vet hospital nearby.


About the Author:
John Braise is a professional blogger with years of experience writing and giving advice for pet owners. With a love for pets in general and dogs in particular, he strives to provide information and guidance for those who want the best for their pet. John also writes helpful dog care tips to make owners feel at ease with their four-legged buddies on gohappydogs.com.

4 Comments

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Prove you're a human: *