Easter is a special holiday to spend with family, including the four-legged family members. You may have special activities planned for Sunday, including a delicious brunch, creative egg coloring, or a rambunctious egg hunt. We hope you truly enjoy your day, however you choose to celebrate!
In the past, we have provided some tips on keeping pets safe during the Easter holiday, and in the hopes that everyone can rest happily after a day full of fun, we thought it would be good to share them again as a quick reminder.
Keep Track of Hidden Eggs
Hard-boiled eggs spoil quickly, so it’s important to keep track of all hidden eggs and retrieve the ones that were never found. If a dog or cat finds the egg days later and eats it, they can become very sick.
Use Easter Grass Sparingly
Shiny green shreds of plastic look quite enticing to pets, especially cats. Because the plastic is indigestible, it can get caught in the pet’s intestines if swallowed. Use this decoration in moderation and remember to clean up any and all shreds after the celebration is over.
Don’t Feed Pets Leftovers
Fatty table scraps are very unhealthy for pets, causing vomiting, diarrhea, panting, and excessive thirst. Make sure all guests know not to feed pets table scraps and make sure there isn’t easy access to tables or counters.
Keep an Eye on Chocolate Candies
Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, which are toxic to pets. Ingestion could lead to heart damage and central nervous system damage. Make sure all chocolate is kept well out of pets’ reach.
Lock up Cleaning Supplies
Spring is a popular time to clean house (especially when expecting company for the holiday), and cleaning supplies can multiply during this time. Most of these supplies are very dangerous to pets, so make sure they are all securely locked and out of the way of curious noses.
Keep Flowers up High
If ingested, many flowers are harmful to pets. Lilies are particularly toxic to cats and tulips can cause stomach irritation, vomiting, and diarrhea. Display all flowers high on tables and countertops not easily accessible to cats and dogs.
Use Flameless Candles
Many candles can easily be knocked over, causing not only harm to pets, but harm to the entire house. When decorating, consider flameless candles, as they pose no danger.