Dog Coverage: What Is and Is Not Covered
Trupanion offers one simple, comprehensive dog insurance plan that covers 90% of your unexpected veterinary costs for a variety of services, including hospital stays, diagnostic tests, medications, surgeries and other treatments that arise when your canine friend is ill or injured. Trupanion also covers hereditary and congenital conditions, provided signs were not evident before your policy coverage date.
- Is available for dogs and cats over 8 weeks and under 14 years of age. Once enrolled your pet can receive life-long coverage.
- Begins after a waiting period of 5 days for injuries and 30 days for illnesses.
- Includes hereditary disorders, congenital disorders, diagnostic tests, surgeries, medications and chronic or recurring conditions. For a complete explanation of terms and conditions, please read the full policy.
What Is Not Covered
Trupanion does not cover the initial exam fee, taxes, wellness and preventative care (including flea treatments, dental cleanings and vaccinations). We also do not cover any pre-existing conditions. To avoid any last minute surprises in the claim process, you should read your dog insurance policy thoroughly to ensure you understand both what is and isn’t covered.
What if I Want Coverage for Alternative Therapies?
Our simple, comprehensive plan ensures that the most common treatments for your dog’s unexpected vet bills will be covered. But if you are also interested in alternative therapies for your pooch, Trupanion offers an Additional Care Package.
With more and more veterinarians offering alternative advanced care options, we want you to have the option to add these treatments to your policy. If you choose to enroll your dog in our core policy and the Additional Care Package, he or she will be covered for all treatments recommended and provided by your veterinarian for future illnesses and injuries.
What Other Kind of Coverage Do You Offer?
Trupanion’s Pet Owner Assistance Package helps provide financial protection against unforeseen events or circumstances caused by or associated with your pet. The Pet Owner Assistance Package is designed to help protect renters, travelers or those who may have medical issues themselves. It covers:
- Third-party property damage caused by your pet
- Trip cancellation costs due to a sick or injured pet
- Boarding fees if you are ever hospitalized
- Advertising and reward costs for a lost pet
- Cremation or burial costs for a pet who has suffered an accident.
Some terms and conditions apply. Please see our sample policy for details.
We are happy to work with you over the phone to find the coverage that is right for you and your pet. Please call us at 800.569.7913.