Easter lilies are bright, beautiful, and a staple floral decoration in the springtime. However, lilies are incredibly dangerous to our feline friends. Just one nibble of a lily plant can make your cat incredibly sick, and left untreated can be deadly.
Lily toxicity is one of Trupanion’s most common and one of the most expensive toxicity claims, with an average claim cost of $1,000. The toxins impact the kidneys and often cause symptoms like vomiting, drooling, lethargy, and appetite loss. Cats can develop tremors or go into seizures, and ingesting even a small piece of a lily plant can lead to kidney failure and death. Every part of the lily plant is toxic and cats can get sick even by licking pollen off their fur or drinking lily vase water.
There are plenty of other options for those who want to bring some fresh flowers and plants into their cat-friendly home this spring. Look for some cat-safe flowers like roses, snapdragons, gerbera daisies, sunflowers, or zinnias. Many herbs—like catnip—and ferns are also safe for pets and can help freshen the house and keep things green. Learn more about pet-friendly plants and flowers.
If you suspect your cat has ingested part of a lily plant, contact your veterinarian right away. For more tips on what to do if you pet ingests a toxin, visit Trupanion’s guide to poison prevention.