Dogs have been considered man’s best friend for thousands of years and it’s easy to see why; they’ve protected us, hunted by our side, herded livestock, saved lives, assisted the disabled, and served in the police and military.
Most of all, they have established themselves as loyal and faithful companions. We cater to all their needs and once we have discovered how to get a dog’s trust, they offer unconditional love. These quotes portray just what a special relationship they have with us.
10 quotes about dogs
- “Because dogs live in the present. Because dogs don’t hold grudges. Because dogs let go of all their anger daily, hourly, and never let it fester. They absolve and forgive with each passing minute. Every turn of a corner is the opportunity for a clean slate. Every bounce of a ball brings joy and the promise of a fresh chase.”
– Stephen Rowley (author)
- “A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.”
– Josh Billings (humorist)
- “Such short little lives our pets have to spend with us, and they spend most of it waiting for us to come home each day.”
– John Grogan (author of Marley and Me)
- “All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. For after all, he was only human. He wasn’t a dog.”
– Charles M Schulz (cartoonist and creator of Snoopy)
- “Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made.”
– Roger A. Caras (author and photographer)
- “I have found that when you are deeply troubled, there are things you get from the silent devoted companionship of a dog that you can get from no other source.”
– Doris Day (actress)
- “When the Man waked up he said, ‘What is Wild Dog doing here?’ And the Woman said, ‘His name is not Wild Dog any more, but the First Friend because he will be our friend for always and always and always.”
– Rudyard Kipling (author- Jungle Book)
- “Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul, chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we’re the greatest hunters on earth!”
– Anne Tyler (author)
- “A lot of shelter dogs are mutts like me.”
– Barack Obama (president of the United States of America)
- “When we adopt a dog or any pet, we know it is going to end with us having to say goodbye, but we still do it. And we do it for a very good reason: They bring so much joy and optimism and happiness. They attack every moment of every day with that attitude.”
– Bruce Cameron (author of A Dog’s Purpose)
It doesn’t matter whether you have a purebred or a mutt, whether they came from an animal shelter or breeder, we love our four-legged friends and they love us back. It’s why we call them “man’s best friend.”
Share your favorite quote about dogs in the comments below.
About the author: John Devlin is the owner of Dogsbarn.com, a husband, father and avid dog lover. He is currently the proud owner of George, a Golden Retriever that barely leaves his side.