As the winter begins to thaw, many of us are celebrating the
return of sunshine and more tolerable temperatures—and that’s exciting!
However, it’s important to stay on top of any potential spring pet hazards that
your dog or cat might get into.
With this easy guide you can be better prepared to have a lovely, fun-filled spring without worrying about the safety of your best friend. Read on to learn more about the spring dangers for pets to avoid this season.
Five spring dangers for pets to keep in mind
While this may seem like a mild time of year, there are
always a few things to an eye out for. These spring pet hazards can be no
trouble at all if you’re an educated pet owner. Here are our list of five
things to watch out for this season:
Lilies. While these gorgeous flowers are just coming into bloom this time of year, it’s very important that they are kept away from cats. Unfortunately, lilies can be fatal if ingested. They contain toxins that affect the liver function in cats. Instead, fill your home with other plants and make sure that any lilies that are around are kept absolutely out of reach of any feline friends.
This sprint pet hazard is one that you can be proactive in preventing for
both cats and dogs. It can also surprise pet owners that heartworm cases appear
more often as the weather gets warmer. In fact, heartworm is transmitted
through mosquitos, so as the days get longer and the temperature rises, your
pet may be more prone to this issue. Fortunately, there
are a number of precautions that you can take to keep your pet safe, like
getting on a regular preventative and going to your veterinarian for checkups.
Just like in humans, allergies
can become more prevalent in pets as seasons change. They can even show up
as similar symptoms that occur in humans. Keep an eye out for sneezing,
itching, rashes or any respiratory issues that your pet may exhibit as we enter
the spring season. Fortunately, many allergy symptoms can be subdued by talking
with your veterinarian and administering medications to your best friend.
Unfamiliar with this one? Luckily, sago palms are mostly seen in just a few
states. Unfortunately, they can be a dangerous spring pet hazard due to their
toxicity. This large plant are so toxic to pets that they can cause serious
reactions within just minutes of ingestion. If you think your pet has ingested
this plant at all, take them to a veterinarian immediately for treatment. As a
precaution, do not let your pet anywhere near this plant.
Chocolate. This is a hazard that many pet owners know about, but you may not immediately connect with the spring season. It’s best to keep an eye out, however, because outside of winter holidays and Valentine’s Day, we see a high number of chocolate toxicity claims around Easter. Just make sure that your puppy can’t reach any chocolate, and all members of the family can have a great time celebrating spring.
Of course, the best thing to do if you have concerns about
your pet getting into anything on this list is to contact your veterinarian.
They can instruct you on the best course of action to help your pet—and
How you can help protect your pet
As responsible, loving pet owners, it’s always best to stay informed and educated about your pet’s health. One way to do that is to make sure that your cat or dog has the best possible environment to stay healthy. However, we all know that the unexpected happens. To help protect your pet against the unknown, you can look into medical insurance for those surprise veterinary bills.
Are you and your pet excited about the seasons changing? Let us know in the comments how you help keep your pet happy and healthy during the springtime.
Marissa knows almost every dog's name in the Trupanion office and is working on learning their owners' names. She is a lover of all animals but has a special place in her heart for anything with a long snout - she could spend all day watching videos of elephants, aardvarks, and tapirs. When not at work you can probably find her watching a soccer game, making short videos or searching for the greatest sandwich in Seattle.