Top poisons affecting Trupanion pets
You can find many items in your cupboards, garage, garden, even your purse or backpack that are be poisonous to your pet. This gives curious cats and dogs easy access to items that can cause serious harm. In fact, we searched our database and found thousands of cases of pets poisoned by common household items. Since 2013, we have paid $2.9 million toward toxicity claims for cats and dogs. Below are some of the most common poisons we found and what you can do to protect your pet.
In the kitchen
Many foods commonly found in the kitchen are toxic for our pets. Avoid giving your pets a taste of the following:
Xylitol (found in sugar-free gum & some peanut butter)
In the garage
Your garage, shed, basement, or cabinets can house a number of substances that wouldn't seem appealing to a pet--but they'll get into it anyway. Be sure to keep the following out of reach:
Rodent poison or traps
Lawn or garden chemicals
In the medicine cabinet
Trupanion sees many poison claims involving human pain medication whether they were dropped on the floor or the pets got into a purse. Some of the most common are:
Albuterol found in inhalers
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (Advil, ibuprofen, Aspirin)
THC in medicinal marijuana
In the yard (or house)
Plants are everywhere, and as a pet owner, you should know which plants to keep from your pets. Lilies are especially dangerous for cats, and sago palms for dogs. Know which plants are dangerous for your pet:
What to do if your pet is poisoned
Stay calm and act fast. Many of these toxins absorb quickly, and a fast response is the most effective.
Safely remove the toxin from your pet’s reach if necessary. Do not allow them to ingest any more of the substance.
Contact your veterinarian immediately. If your veterinarian’s office is closed, contact your local emergency clinic, or call a pet poison hotline and follow their instructions.
How to prepare
Keep emergency contact information readily accessible including your veterinarian’s phone number and directions to your local 24-hour emergency veterinary hospital.
Talk to your veterinarian to determine the best plan for you and your pet.
Prepare a with any supplies you may need. pet first aid kit
Familiarize yourself with pet poisons and keep them out of reach of your pets. If you believe your pet has ingested a poison, do not wait for signs to develop — take your pet immediately to the veterinarian.
True stories of pet poisonings
Georgie the Pug Swallowed Yeast Dough
Georgie the Pug swallowed yeast dough and the ethanol from the yeast made him extremely ill.
Read more about Georgie.
Bruce the Domestic Shorthair Nibbled a Lily
Bruce the Domestic Shorthair ingested part of a lily, which lead to kidney failure and hospitalization.
Read more about Bruce.
Gus the Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier Ate Raisins
Gus the Wheaten Terrier ate a box of yogurt-covered raisins and was in the hospital for days.
Read more about Gus.
Insurance starts for puppies & kittens from 8 weeks of age
If your puppy or kitten is younger than this, please call 855.591.3100 or email us & we will get right back to you to arrange coverage.