Call us now


Representatives are available to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

FAQs on continuing your coverage

Thanks for trying us out! We want to make sure you know what you're getting when you continue coverage. Read below to learn more about continuing today.

Continue today for seamless coverage — don't pay until your 30 days are up!

Though you can continue your coverage at any point, you'll get all of these great benefits if you continue today:

  • No payment collected until the end of the 30-day period
  • Avoid a lapse in coverage and having to go through waiting periods
  • Power to pick a premium that's right for you
  • Add optional riders for alternative therapies and pet owner assistance
Continue today

Certificate FAQs

We created our certificates so you can experience for yourself the benefits of pet insurance and provide peace of mind past the 30 days. Our certificate programs vary depending on where you live — so these FAQs are valid for certificate programs in all states in the US and Canada except CA, ID, FL, NY, WA, PA, and Puerto Rico. If you live in one of these outside areas, learn about your certificate here

Certificates provide pets 30 days of medical insurance coverage from the comprehensive Trupanion policy with:

  • No upfront costs
  • No waiting periods 
  • No obligation

The most common way to get a certificate is from your veterinarian after an exam, but you can also get a certificate when you bring home your new pet from one of hundreds of breeders and shelters that partner with us.

No, you don’t need to provide payment information until you decide to continue your coverage before your certificate expires.

Certificates provide the full benefits of the comprehensive Trupanion policy — 90% coverage for the cost to treat new injuries and illnesses, including hereditary and congenital conditionss, with no payout limits. To learn more about coverage, check out the policy.

That means that you’re covered for all of this (and more) for eligible conditions:

  • Diagnostic tests
  • Surgeries 
  • Medications
  • Hospital stays
  • Supplements
  • And much more

We never want to surprise you with any hidden exclusions or limits. The Trupanion policy does not cover:

  • Routine preventive care
  • Exam fees
  • Sales tax (where applicable)
  • Pre-existing conditions

While the Trupanion policy covers all new injuries and illnesses, like all pet insurance policies, it doesn’t cover pre-existing conditions. If you pet shows symptoms of a condition before activation, it’s considered pre-existing and ineligible for coverage.

Certificates have a $250 per condition deductible. If you want to continue coverage, you can learn more about deductibles and how to change them here

While your policy picks up 90% of eligible treatment costs, we ask you to cover the other 10% plus a couple of other things:

  • The exam fee
  • Your $250 deductible (you can change this amount when you enroll)
  • Sales tax (where applicable)

Great! We still encourage you to activate your certificate because it waives waiting periods so your pet receives immediate coverage, and you won’t receive a bill until the 30 days are up.

You can continue coverage at any time during the 30 days and we will not bill you until after your certificate coverage ends. You can call us at 855.331.8003 or continue coverage online.

Your coverage automatically expires and your pet is no longer insured if you don’t enroll during the 30 days. We encourage you to continue during the certificate period to receive seamless coverage and avoid potential pre-existing conditions. If in the future you change your mind and want to protect your pet, your pet’s coverage will have the standard waiting periods of 5 days for injuries and 30 days for illnesses.

No, each pet can only use one certificate. 

If you forgot to activate within the 24-hour window, we still recommend enrolling to prevent any future mishaps or ailments being ineligible for coverage. 

Of course — we encourage you to! After you activate your first certificate, just log into the policyholder Member Portal to activate certificates for your other pets within 24 hours of their exam.
We love informed decisions. See the policy for full coverage details.

Call us now


Representatives are available to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week