Cat insurance: a cat snoozes on her human's lapA cat snoozes on her owner's lapA cat snoozes on her human's lap

What is cat or kitten insurance?

When your cat or kitten gets sick or injured, the last thing you want to think about is how much the veterinary care will cost. The best cat health insurance helps protect you from that financial burden and makes sure you can focus on getting the best care possible. Whether your cat encounters a minor incident, like a snagged claw or stumble down the cat tree, or develops a serious medical condition like kidney disease or cancer, Trupanion is there to cover 90% of all eligible healthcare expenses.

In a world of advanced veterinary care, the best coverage gives you the financial ability to care for your family member, and we can do that.

The Trupanion policy provides coverage you can count on.


How does cat insurance work?

Cat health insurance is simple with Trupanion. You pay a monthly premium in order to be covered for any new, unexpected illnesses or injuries throughout your cat’s life.

Trupanion cat and dog insurance coverage map of North America icon

If your cat is under the weather take them to any veterinarian, specialty center, or emergency hospital in Canada, the US or Puerto Rico and get them the treatment they need.

90% coverage on cat and dog insurance dollar bill icon
Rest assured knowing Trupanion has your back. When you file a claim,we’ll cover 90% of eligible healthcare expenses for your cat. You are responsible for any non-eligible expenses, your deductible and the remaining 10%.
Cat silhouette next to exclamation point
When it comes to the unexpected, we'll be there for life. You're only responsible for the routine and preventive care--the costs you expect to pay as a cat owner.
Insurance, not wellness

We leave the expected payments to you so we can provide top coverage when you need it most.

Call us 24/7

How cat insurance works

If your cat is sick, take them to any veterinarian, specialty center, or emergency hospital in the US, Canada, or Puerto Rico.

We can pay participating veterinarians directly or you can submit your claim online.

We reimburse 90%* of eligible expenses, no matter how high the cost. You are responsible for the non-eligible expenses, your deductible, tax (where applicable), and the remaining 10%.

Our award-winning customer support team is standing by 24/7 just in case you have any questions or concerns.

We love informed decisions. See our policy for full coverage details.
If you live in Florida, see how we're doing things differently for you.

How much cat insurance costs

The price is different for every cat and depends on factors such as your cat’s age, breed, gender, and the cost of veterinary care in your area.

You can choose how much you pay each month by selecting a deductible ranging from $0 to $1,000. Your price is flexible. You can lower it any time by raising your deductible. Just give us a call!

What does cat health insurance cover?

Simply put, we provide one simple plan that covers 90% of your unexpected veterinary costs. This includes hospital stays, diagnostic tests, medications, surgeries, and other treatments that arise when your feline friend is ill or injured. The 90% coverage kicks in after you meet your deductible, and there are no limits on the amount we reimburse.

Basically, almost every type of injury or illness is eligible for coverage, so long as it is not considered pre-existing. We do not exclude any conditions or breed-specific ailments. We even cover hereditary and congenital conditions, provided signs were not evident before your enrollment date.

That means if your cat gets a respiratory infection, develops a recurring urinary condition, or is diagnosed with kidney disease or lymphoma, we’ll be there. Sprains a paw? We’ll cover it. Allergies? We’ve got it covered. Swallows a rubber band? We’ve covered it before and we’ll do it again. Nibbles on a toxic plant? We’re there for you.

We love informed decisions. See our policy for full coverage details.
If you live in Florida, see how we're doing things differently for you.

What's covered

  • Illnesses & injuries
  • Hereditary & congenital conditions
  • Diagnostic tests
  • Surgeries
  • Hospital stays
  • Medications
  • Veterinary supplements
  • Prosthetic devices & carts

Waiting periods

Coverage is applicable to new injuries or illnesses that occur after waiting periods.

 Trupanion pet insurance (cat insurance and dog insurance) have waiting periods that last 5 days for injuries and 30 days for illnesses

Waiting periods are waived when activating a certificate from your veterinarian.

What's not covered

Extra coverage

Trupanion also offers optional packages for additional coverage that may fit your lifestyle. These packages can protect you from other unforeseen events or circumstances related to your cat, provide extra coverage for alternative and rehabilitative therapies, and add extra protection for breeding cats. They come at an additional cost.

See our policy
^ Back to Top
Worry Free Guarantee

We're confident you'll love us. But if you change your mind, just let us know within the first 30 days for a full refund (as long as we haven't paid a claim for you).

*Money back guarantee not applicable if you live in New York.

How much does cat insurance cost?

Each cat is unique, from their size to their energy level and temperament, which is why our prices are unique to your cat's situation. The cost of cat insurance varies based on several factors specific to your cat or kitten, including:

 The cost of cat insurance is based on: age, breed of cat, gender and cost of veterinary care where you live

You can customize your monthly price by changing your deductible

Once you get a quote, choose your cat's monthly premium by selecting a deductible from $0 to $1,000. This is the amount you’ll be responsible for before your coverage starts. This gives you the flexibility to set a monthly premium that best fits your budget. You can lower your deductible in your first 30 days, or increase it any time by giving us a call.

What might cause my premium to change?

Over the life of your cat, you may see periodic adjustments to your cat's premium, which may be an increase, a decrease, or no change at all. Premium changes are due to the average cost of cats similar to yours based on our claims experience and inflation.

You will never see an automatic increase to your premium as a result of filing a claim. We know that you have no control over whether your feline friend gets sick or injured, which is why we don't penalize a policyholder with increased premiums solely because they’ve filed a claim.

^ Back to Top

When should I get medical insurance for my cat or kitten?

The best time to think about insurance for your cat is when they are a kitten or young adult. Every cat is prone to certain types of illnesses and injuries in each stage of life so it’s important to be prepared every step of the way.

Light bulb iconTIP: No cat insurance provider offers coverage for pre-existing conditions. By insuring your cat when they are young or when you first bring them home, you can get them covered before you find any signs of pre-existing conditions and get the most out of your Trupanion policy.

Why should I choose Trupanion?

The Trupanion policy can help protect your cat and your finances.

We know the choice of selecting a provider can be daunting, but there are a number of reasons why the Trupanion policy is a great choice for your cat.

90% coverage for all cats and dogs icon


The Trupanion cat insurance policy picks up 90% of eligible veterinary costs, including hospital stays, diagnostic tests, medications, surgeries, and other treatments when your kitty is ill or injured.
Price slider bar showing you can pick the price of cat or dog insurance deductible


Looking to save? Pick a deductible that works for your family budget. Anywhere from $0 to $1,000, you’ll still be covered at 90% after it’s met.
Sample pet insurance claim form icon


65% of claims are settled the day we receive them—and 80% within 7 days. We try to reach out to you throughout the claims experience, and we also encourage you to check for updates in your online account.
hospital blue icon


Whether you visit your current veterinarian or a specialty hospital, the Trupanion policy has you covered at any veterinary practice in Canada, the US or Puerto Rico, and in many cases, can pay claims directly to the hospital.

Hand receiving unlimited payouts icon


If your cat needs care, we won't impose payout limits. We'll never cut off care or raise rates just because your cat is unlucky or develops a chronic condition.
Phone headset icon depicting 24/7 support


We're here to help 24/7. Enroll today and see why almost 99% of our policyholders stay with us every month.
^ Back to Top

All it takes to get started is to:

Get your pet's quote
Our staff is comprised of veterinarians, veterinary technicians, and doting pet owners who would love to hear from you.
We love informed decisions. See the policy for full coverage details.