Your guide to how Trupanion can help your pup
When your dog gets sick or hurt, the last thing you want to think about is how much the veterinary care will cost. The best dog insurance helps protect you from that financial burden and makes sure you can focus on getting the best care possible.
What dog insurance covers
- Illnesses & injuries
- Breed-specific conditions
- Diagnostic tests
- Hospital stays
- Veterinary supplements
- Prosthetic devices & carts
Coverage is applicable to new injuries or illnesses that occur after waiting periods.
Waiting periods are waived when activating a certificate from your veterinarian.
The Trupanion policy also offers optional packages for additional coverage that may fit your lifestyle. These packages can protect you from other unforeseen events or circumstances related to your dog, provide extra coverage for alternative and rehabilitative therapies, and add extra protection for breeding dogs. They come at an additional cost.
IMPORTANT NOTE: No dog insurance provider offers coverage for pre-existing conditions. By insuring your dog when they are young or when you first bring them home, you can get them covered before you find any signs of pre-existing conditions and get the most out of your Trupanion policy.
Get unlimited and trusted coverage
How does dog insurance work?
If your dog is sick or hurt take them to any veterinarian, specialty center, or emergency hospital in Canada, the US, or Puerto Rico and get them the treatment they need.
Rest assured knowing Trupanion has your back. When you file a claim,we’ll cover 90% of eligible healthcare expenses for your dog. You are responsible for any non-eligible expenses, your deductible, and the remaining 10%.
Trupanion is the only company with the technology to pay your veterinarian directly in minutes at the time of checkout with our unique software
Our fastest claim was paid
in under 10 seconds!
Well over half of our claims are
submitted by veterinarians, which
means no paperwork for you!
How much does dog insurance cost?
You control your monthly price by customizing your deductible
Once you get a quote, choose your dog's monthly price by selecting a deductible from $0 to $1,000. The deductible is the amount you’ll be responsible for before your coverage starts. This gives you the flexibility to find a price that fits your budget. You can lower your deductible in your first 30 days, or increase it any time by giving us a call.
If you'd like to know what deductible is best for your pet, we recommend giving us a call so we can chat about your pet's specific details.
Your price will never automatically increase just because your pet gets older
Over the life of your dog, you may see periodic adjustments to your dog's premium, which may be an increase, a decrease, or not change at all.
You will never see an automatic increase to your premium as a result of filing a claim or because your pet gets older. We know that you have no control over whether your dog gets sick or injured, which is why we don't penalize our members with increased premiums just because they filed a claim.
Check out our pricing philosophy for more detail.
With most other companies, your rate
can spike 2-4 times higher just
because your pet goes from a puppy
to a senior dog.
Most pet insurance providers offer 5 or
fewer deductible options, whereas
a Trupanion policy covers over 100 options.
We're available 24/7 to help you pick the
best monthly price for your pet's needs.
Some companies can reduce your
coverage options or increase your rates
just because you actually used the
insurance and submitted claims. Trupanion
doesn't punish you for filing claims.
How do I know if dog insurance is right for my pet?
If you're still not sure if Trupanion is the right decision for you and your pet, we encourage you to continue your research. You can look into what makes Trupanion stand out, and research other companies.
We recommend that you:
Though pet medical insurance is relatively new, over 50% of people we surveyed who are interested in Trupanion know someone with insurance.
DISCUSS WITH YOUR VETERINARIAN
Review the 9 guidelines veterinarians recommend insurance companies follow and ask your vet for their opinion.
RESEARCH OTHER PROVIDERS
Pay attention to any limits on potential payouts, or restrictions in coverage.
If you're ready to continue
If you think a Trupanion policy could help your pet, your next step is choosing your monthly price and deductible. Our pet-loving team is here 24/7 to answer your questions and help you find a quote that works for you and your pet.
- When surveyed, 97% of people who called in did not feel pressured to buy
- Our average quote call takes 5 minutes
- We have a pet-loving team who can walk you through our deductible options