Pet Insurance Comparisons
Looking for information about insuring your pet? Then you’ve come to the right place. When considering providers of pet insurance, the first thing you should do – before enrolling with any provider – is to ask the following questions:
- What is and what is not covered by the policy?
- Are there any payout limits on the coverage to care for your pet?
- What are the co-insurance and deductible options for the policy?
- Can I take my pet to any licensed veterinarian, clinic or hospital of my choice?
- Does the policy pay on the actual costs of treatment for my pet, or is it based on a pre-determined benefits schedule ?
- Will my rates go up because I make too many claims, or make claims over a certain amount of money?
- Is my pet’s breed excluded from coverage, or are there any breed-specific limitations?
- How are “pre-existing conditions” defined?
- Will a re-occurrence of a past injury or illness to my pet (previously covered by the provider) ever be considered a pre-existing condition in the future?
- What waiting periods are associated with your coverage?
We at Trupanion are confident that if you ask these important questions to any group of providers, you will see that we deliver the most comprehensive coverage and the best value in the industry.
Pet Insurance Providers Coverage Comparison
This comparison chart provides a quick glance of the benefits for each of the below providers*.
Click here to view a larger version of the comparison chart.
|Trupanion||Embrace||PetFirst||Petplan||PurinaCare||VPI||Healthy Paws||24Pet Watch||Pets Best||ASPCA|
|Provides 90% coverage for treatments of injuries & illnesses||Depends upon the specific plan||Depends upon the specific plan||Depends upon the specific plan||Depends upon the specific plan||Depends upon where you live|
|Has no financial limits: Per year, per illness or per pet|
|Covers approved surgeries, diagnostic tests, medications & hospital stays||Depends upon the specific plan|
|Covers therapeutic pet foods & dietary supplements|
|Pays customer based on actual veterinarian bill – NOT on pre-determined benefits schedule|
|Freedom to use any veterinarian at any clinic or hospital of your choice|
|Allows customers to choose their own deductible amount
(including a $0 deductible)
These comparisons are based on written documentation from each
of the above companies’ public-facing websites and Policy Wordings as of January
2, 2013, as well as a series of provider-specific phone interviews and internal
research conducted from January 7-16, 2013. Coverage options are interpreted by
American Pet Insurance Company as being comparable, and American Pet Insurance Company
recognizes that alternate policies, coverages, deductible levels and co-insurance
levels may be available from these providers for different premium costs.
* ASPCA underwritten by United States Fire Insurance Company
Embrace underwritten by RLI Insurance
Healthy Paws underwritten by ACE Group or Markel Corporation
PetFirst underwritten by American Alternative Insurance Corporation (a subsidiary of Munich Re)
Petplan underwritten by AGCS Marine Insurance Company
Pets Best underwritten by Aetna Insurance company of Connecticut
PurinaCare underwritten by Central States Indemnity Co. of Omaha
DVM Insurance Agency (VPI) underwritten by National Casualty Company
24PetWatch underwritten by Praetorian Insurance Company
If you have any questions for us, or need help understanding anything relating to coverage for your pet, please call Trupanion’s pet-loving customer care team at 800.569.7913. We love talking about pets!